Connecting with kids’ interests and showing how math is woven into every aspect of the world around us is at the heart of the Mathical Book Prize, which recognizes math-inspiring kids’ literature for Grades PreK-12.
Join Title I school librarians as they share programming ideas for using titles from the Mathical Book List in their schools; meet Steve Light, author/illustrator of Have You Seen My Dragon?. Moderated by educators Erika Long and Kirsten Bohl, the session will include time for questions and discussion. Join us to explore math in children’s literature, and pick up tips on how to encourage kids to love math in the world around them.
- Kirsten Bohl, Mathical Book Prize Coordinator, Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI)
- Celina Gonzalez, former multiple subjects teacher/education specialist, High Tech Elementary North County (California)
- Erika Long, School Librarian, Metro Nashville Public Schools (Nashville, Tennessee)
- Steve Light, children’s book author/illustrator
- Anna Chou, librarian, Carriage Hill Elementary School (Papillion, Nebraska)
- Michelle Melencio, librarian, Bryant Woods Elementary (Columbia, Maryland)
- Melissa Blount, librarian, George Middle School (Portland, Oregon)
Learn more about the Mathical Book Prize Collection Development Awards at slj.com/MathicalAwards.