Connecting with kids’ interests and showing how math is woven into every aspect of the world around us is at the heart of the Mathical Book Prize, which recognizes math-inspiring kids’ literature for Grades PreK-12.
Join Title I school librarians as they share programming ideas for using titles from the Mathical Book List in their schools; meet Steve Light, author/illustrator of Have You Seen My Dragon?; and learn about the Plum Creek Children’s Literacy Festival Adult Conference organized by Mathical Selection Committee member Dylan Teut. Moderated by educators Celina Gonzalez and Kirsten Bohl, the session will include time for questions and discussion. Join us to explore math in children’s literature, and pick up tips on how to encourage kids to love math in the world around them.
- Kirsten Bohl, Mathical Book Prize Coordinator, Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI)
- Celina Gonzalez, former multiple subjects teacher/education specialist, High Tech Elementary North County (California)
- Steve Light, children’s book author/illustrator
- Dylan Teut, director, Plum Creek Children’s Literacy Festival in Seward, Nebraska, and instructor of literacy, Concordia University (Nebraska)
- Michelle Melencio, librarian, Bryant Woods Elementary (Maryland)
- Sheila Gibbons, librarian, Abraham Lincoln Elementary (Long Beach, California)
Learn more about the Mathical Book Prize Collection Development Awards at slj.com/MathicalAwards.