Updated October 8, 2021
The Mathical Book Prize (“Mathical Prize”) is organized by the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (“MSRI”), a California nonprofit public benefit corporation exempt from federal income taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Through the websites operated at www.mathicalbooks.org and third-party websites hosting Mathical programming (the “Sites”), the Mathical Prize, and other programs, MSRI aims to enhance the public understanding and appreciation of mathematics through face-to-face and online events and outreach programming and resources. Some of these events and programs require obtaining and utilizing, in certain specified ways, personal information from the users of our Sites.
Personal Information We Collect & How We Collect It
For the purposes of operating, improving, and monitoring the user experience on our Sites and Mathical Prize operations generally, we collect various information from those using the Sites. This information is broadly of two types: Personal Information (meaning information which is personal to you and can be used to identify you, like your name and email address) and General Information (meaning information which cannot be used to identify you, like the number of users—but not their names—who have viewed a web page).
Personal Information we may collect includes:
- Name of the school, organization, or company with which you are affiliated
- Email address
- Postal address
- Telephone number
- Age and age range
- Credit and debit card number
Use of Personal Information
We and our service providers use Personal Information to:
- Register you to attend our Events and confirm your attendance at them.
- Register you to exhibit at our Events.
- Process your payments for donations, or to attend or exhibit at an Event.
- Respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to provide you with sponsorship information.
- Send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- Send you communications that promote our Events and organization, including newsletters and surveys.
- Allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests, and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities may have additional rules containing information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information.
- For our internal purposes, such as data analysis, program evaluation, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products and services, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of promotional campaigns, and operating and expanding our activities.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Some or all of your Personal Information may be disclosed to:
- Staff and/or event management partners at our Events.
- Our third-party service providers who provide services such as event registration, fraud prevention, event security, website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, information technology and related infrastructure provision, email delivery, auditing, and other services.
Other Uses and Disclosures
We may also use and disclose your Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) to comply with applicable law, to respond to requests from public and government authorities, to cooperate with law enforcement, or for other legal reasons; (b) to enforce our terms and conditions; and (c) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others. We may also use, disclose, or transfer your Personal Information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our organization, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
General Information and Cookies
You can access content on our Sites and use most features of our Sites without revealing any Personal Information. In these cases we may collect General Information including, but not limited to, pages visited, hyperlinks used, type of device used, and time on Sites.
- Browser and device information
- IP address
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies
- Demographic and other information provided by you that does not reveal your specific identity
- Information that has been de-identified or aggregated in a manner such that it no longer reveals your specific identity.
Collecting such General Information may involve logging the IP address, operating system and browser software used by individual site visitors, and from such information a user’s Internet Service Provider, geographic location, and other data could be inferred, but nothing which can be used to personally identify you. We use this information to understand how to service users of our Sites and improve our Sites and programs. We do this through Google Analytics or other site analysis tools.
Most browsers are initially set to accept cookies, and we assume that if you do not disable cookies you consent to use of them by us and by Google Analytics. Most browsers offer easy instructions on setting your browser to reject Google cookies or cookies in general. You may choose to do so at any time, but please note that any personalized functions and benefits of the Sites may not work properly if you reject our cookies.
We may use and disclose General Information for any purpose.
Collection of Other Information
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in connection with your use of the Site in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, and Internet browser type and version. We use this information to ensure that the Site functions properly.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used to, among other things, track the actions of Site users and email recipients, measure the success of our marketing campaigns, and compile statistics about Site usage and response rates.
- IP Address: Your IP Address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. An IP Address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Site, along with the time of the visit and the pages visited. We use IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems, and administering the Site. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP Address.
We use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures designed to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below.
Use of the Site by Children
The Site is not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information online from individuals under 13. Adults ages 18+ and children ages 13+ may independently register and participate in online events. Anyone ages 12 and under must be registered by and accompanied by a parent or guardian.
The Services are controlled and operated by us from the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country, or territory other than that of the United States.
Notice of Public Filming, Photography, and Recording
When you enter Mathical Prize associated events and programs, both online and in person, you enter an area where photography, audio, and video recording may occur. By entering the event premises or Sites, you consent to photography, audio recording, video recording and its/their release, publication, exhibition, or reproduction to be used for news, web casts, promotional purposes, telecasts, advertising, inclusion on websites, social media, or any other purpose by the festival organizer MSRI and its affiliates and representatives. Images, photos and/or videos may be used to promote similar MSRI events in the future, highlight the event, and exhibit the capabilities of MSRI.
You release MSRI, its officers and employees, and each and all persons involved from any liability connected with the taking, recording, digitizing, or publication and use of interviews, photographs, computer images, video and/or or sound recordings. By entering the event premises, you waive all rights you may have to any claims for payment or royalties in connection with any use, exhibition, streaming, web casting, televising, or other publication of these materials, regardless of the purpose or sponsoring of such use, exhibiting, broadcasting, web casting, or other publication irrespective of whether a fee for admission or sponsorship is charged. You also waive any right to inspect or approve any photo, video, or audio recording taken by MSRI or the person or entity designated to do so by MSRI. You have been fully informed of your consent, waiver of liability, and release before entering the event.
Disabling Device Audio/Video Feed During Online Events
If participants in Mathical online events do not wish to be recorded on audio and/or video, you can use the software features of the event software platform to disable the sharing of video and/or audio from your device(s), including muting microphones or turning off camera feeds on your device used to participate in the events. You may choose to do so at any time, but please note that any personalized functions or full participation in the Events may be limited if you disable these features.
Photography and Video Recording Release for Parents of Minor Children
I hereby grant the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (“MSRI”), a California nonprofit public benefit corporation exempt from federal income taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, permission to create a recording of myself and/or my child’s visual and/or audio likeness (the “Recording”) for news, educational, marketing, advertising, fundraising, and other lawful purposes.
I hereby authorize and consent to the Recording for the purposes listed above, understanding that the Recording may be created by way of photography, video, or other recording method (whether electronic or otherwise). I further grant to MSRI, its affiliates, licensees, and their successors and assigns, a royalty-free, perpetual license to display, record, edit, use, reproduce, and publish the Recording, including the associated use of my name and/or my child’s name, and to distribute it via print publication, television, radio, website (including, without limitation, www.msri.org, www.nationalmathfestival.org, and/or other MSRI websites, newsletters, or social media channels), or any other media now existing or as may be developed from time to time. I understand that neither I nor my child will not receive any compensation for this release, and that MSRI is under no obligation whatsoever to use the Recording or to notify me or my child if and when it is used. I acknowledge that MSRI or its designees shall own the copyright in the Recordings and that MSRI is not obligated to use the Recordings.
In granting this license, and in consideration of my and/or my child’s opportunity to participate in MSRI’s programming, I agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless MSRI and its officers, directors, and employees from any and all claims, actions, and demands whatsoever, including, but not limited to, claims of libel or invasion of privacy arising out of or in connection with the use of the Recording or my child’s name. I understand that this release is binding on my heirs, agents, successors, and assigns.
PARENTS/LEGAL GUARDIANS OF MINORS: I represent that I am the parent or legal guardian of my child, who is under 18 years old, and that I have read and understood the content of this release and agree to its terms.
Presenter Recording Consent and Usage
MSRI obtains permission of speakers to distribute their presentations, lectures, and other content on the web and other digital services. MSRI uses these solely for educational and noncommercial purposes.
Video/Audio Recording Inquiries
For inquiries about video/audio recording at Mathical Prize Events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.